View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:22 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Keep in mind that somebody has a lot of money already invested in tearing down the Jefferson West building. I don't remember who the developer was, though I'm sure someone here does, but the deal more or less went like this: If the developer built a new low income apartment building on his nearby lot to replace housing lost by tearing down the Jefferson West, the city would let him tear down the Jefferson West and build a residential tower there. I believe the plans called for something around 18 stories.

The developer did the first half of the job by replacing a small old building and parking lot with a new apartment building called The Jeffrey which was completed in 2008 (or was it 2009?) They put in a lot of money and planning in order to be able to tear down the Jefferson West and build a tower there. One has to assume that they still plan to do so as soon as the market bounces back, etc.

So, it comes down to timing, really. I live in the neighborhood and have been watching that building for years. I really hope they get around to building there soon, but 5 years is probably a better bet.

I have to assume it's going to happen. There's too much money tied up in it.