View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:02 PM
BANNED

^^^ Hey, I know a lot of people who are into sociology and social history. Chicago is THE capital of those issues as it's really the first place where those issues arose and were sorted out (obviously due to the tense, chaotic, nature of boom-town Chicago). So I can see a certain type of tourist who comes here interested in social history who wants to check out Hull House and similar historic sites.

Now that we've removed the projects, I'm not sure it's something we should be ashamed of as a city any longer. After all, sorting through these social issues (Race Riots, Haymarket, Other Labor Unrest, Hull House, Sociology at U of C, Projects, Segregation, Lincoln, Obama, etc.) is a huge part of our identity and history as a city. To be honest I think we need to be proud of and aware of this past because it is fairly unieque and we've come a LONG way in how we handle such issues.

I can totally see a Public Housing Museum being a medium sized draw especially considering the other similar social-issue attractions Chicago has as a city. I think they just need to make sure they do it right. I has to be more than just some pictures and a model of a typical unit from the projects.