View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 11:42 PM
Last exit for the lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
Ive read that the Alexandria Hotel had an 8 story 55 room annex built that was only served by stairs and lifts from the main hotel building. In 1934 the annex closed, in 1937 following a disagreement between the 2 owners the hallways between the two properties were bricked up sealing off the 55 rooms.

Apparently it stayed this way for almost 60 years!

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm looking on Google to identify the annex but it must by now have been brought back into use, bet it looked fascinating as an untouched 60 year old relic of the past

I have not been on here in quite some time, but I have attempted to look into the whole abandoned section of the building (I talked with the management here recently about it, they said they are not aware of any plans at all about it potentially being restored, and most people in this building do not even realize that it exists). It is pretty much impossible to get in, unless you were to climb the side of the building and crawl into one of the windows, and even then, you would not be able to get the next floor above, as there are no staircases in that section of the building. Here are a few pictures I have taken from the fire escape off the back of the building looking in through the windows (where there are many things laying inside covered in dust, from things that look like beer cans, a wheelbarrow, large chunks of the building which have fallen in over the years, broken bottles, and the pigeons which call it home, as the windows have fallen in as well.

Also, there is a building across from the fire escape (I am not sure what it is called though, it is on broadway though, and I THINK the original facade was replaced at some point in time, but I could be wrong). Anyways, on the roof are some very interesting objects which have been thrown on to it most likely by some of the lovely people who live here in the alexandria. Most of the stuff is broken beer bottles and trash of any sort from burger wrappers to soda cups, HOWEVER, there are a few interesting things as well, from a rather large lumpy suitcase, a big ol knife, and a syringe (while the syringe may be difficult to make out in the photo, I know its a syringe, as I am a diabetic, and have to stick the bastards in me about 4 or 5 times a day). You can play a sort of "I spy" if you wish, and try to find other objects of potential shadiness.

This is the back of said building.

This is the top. (2nd image has suitcase, knife, and syringe circled in red. What else can you find?)

This is the front (the reason I do not think this is the original facade is because the back of the building has the nice old brickwork with arched windows, the front just doesnt seem to...I dont know, it just doesnt seem right. Someone enlighten me).

Also since I am somewhat on the subject of the alexandria and its fire escape, it provides some excellent views as well, I took these one night as the fog rolled in nice and low and was illuminated by the lights below.

(ok this one isnt from the fire escape but it is from the 12th floor looking north )

Sorry about the long random post, hopefully you all enjoy the photos though (all of which were taken by me, except for the google earth snapshot)