View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Going to the ferry terminal is the same as being on the boat, it doesn't count. The City wants to get them out of the terminal. And it's not just tourists. The plans for shopping will get New Yorkers who wouldn't normally get out, there are a lot of people who like to ride just for the ride or something to do on a date. I've noticed it. Now there will be options at the other end. They can extend it further and take a ride up the wheel, or spend some time in the new shopping centers.
-
Yeah I got that the first time I read an article about it and before you mentioned it several times. I though it was fairly obvious that I was using the numbers that reach Staten Island to illustrate the tourist feed that will already be be tapped in to by the wheel. And yes, I fully understand that there will be more tourists taking the ferry now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

-
Wow this thing is going to be huge.

The hotel should be a success. We already have unfortunate tourists who stay on the outer reaches of Staten Island thinking they got to stay in the city but at a cheaper price. I think they'd be happy to stay right by the ferry for a little bit more.

Having the rooftop park is an insanely cool idea, although I hope it isn't just a lawn as illustrated. Regardless, very cool. St.George doesn't have much in the way of parks, and I hope access to the park is easy for residents. I hope St.George becomes more of an activity hub, with better restaurants and maybe some live music venues for the people from the Metro that will come to shop or ride the wheel. Some sort of pedestrian bridge from the courthouse to the other side of Richmond Terrace would be good.

4.5 million visitors annually? Ambitious. I have my doubts, but I hope they're right. The hotel should help.

The upscale shopping should be good for the North Shore. Residents of the more-suburban South Shore tend to stay down there, and do their shopping in mid-island locales like the Mall or New Dorp. This will make St.George even more of a downtown for Staten Island.