View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I'm thinking Wilkinsburg could be a rail access point, turning a station there into more of an intermodal facility with the busway there as well.
Back when they studied commuter rail on the NS/Amtrak tracks in 2009, they considered Shadyside for a possible station for access to the East End and transfers to the Busway. It was a very tight location so there couldn't be parking, but I guess the appeal was you could imagine people walking to the Shadyside hospital complex for work.

Big PDF:

http://www.westmorelandtransit.com/p...RT_6-25-09.pdf

I do wonder if they considered it now or in the future whether they would look at different East End station possibilities. Off hand I'd guess the new Transit Center in East Liberty might be the first choice as of today, but a future intermodal transit center in Wilkinsburg could well be a leading contender down the road. Certainly the very large park-and-ride lot at Wilkinsburg Station on the Busway gives you a lot of land to work with (and I would love to see the old warehouse and surrounding land just to the north incorporated into a TOD plan):

Or maybe both. This Rapid Bus map from the TDP shows how the East End BRT network might look eventually, and you can see the virtue of stations at East Liberty or Wilkinsburg, but you would get maximum coverage by doing both:

Last edited by BrianTH; Aug 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM.