View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
if anyone knows, is the sheraton going to go through an expansion,such as the one proposed for the marriott? i thought that the fellow who wrote the piece on the convetion center, the need for hotels, and the like, expressed himself well, and i agreed w/ most of what he wrote. he indicated in the piece that their were currently two hotels in the works in the immediate future in downtown. last week i reviewed the city master plan, and i also found a directory of hotel expansions, rennovations, and closings. throughout the memphis-shelby county metro, the article showed 11 hotels that were almost finished, 6 or 7 to begin in 2014. the map showed 2 inns/hotels for midtown. they were hyatts, and one was in the downtown medical center, while the other was pinmarked for the university hospital- methodist.

the really interesting thing were the pins placed for a hilton and a hyatt. they were practically on top of each other. the area was the beale street and front area. starting dates for both hotels were listed for early 2014. no pins were marked in the pinch district. as usual, some of the pins didn't make sense, as the map indicated by note that not all brandings were shown on the map.

the master plan for the city shows a development for rentals and some condos, in the area near and under the bridge. developers are already named for some of the projects. the mud island museum has a proposal for several public entertainment works. too, there is some proposal for a midrise office bldg or hotel in or around the area, at the top of the hill. all of the information is pretty confusing, and having a master plan doesn't seem to make many topics or issues any better. in any city, i think that it is hard for the citizens to keep faith on city developments, when there are so many setbacks, lack of follow through, or the plan is described, and the plans end w/ the words such as in 10 to 20 years.
San Antonio would be one.

It does have to have 360 degree scoreboards. Between six or seven Tiger games, the Southern Heritage Classic, you can come up with other games. FCS Championship, make a D2 and D3 combo pitch. Bentonville Ark and it's HS stadium is one of three finalist for the D2 championship. You got to lose the it will not be successful cause we don't have a NFL team mindset.

I'd love to see Memphis host conventions like the SHOT show and so on.

Info on Alamo Dome:

The Alamodome is what is known as a “third generation” facility. Its features column-free spans for unobstructed viewing and curtain wall system for configuration flexibility.

With the Alamodome you get the advantage of both a convention center and a dome without the drawbacks of either. The Alamodome is large enough to easily accommodate assemblies and tradeshows. The column-free design makes it unlike other domes in one very important way: it has an intimate, “human” scale.

The Alamodome opened on May 15, 1993 at a cost of approximately $186 million. It is owned and operated by the City of San Antonio.

It is the preferred venue for many trade shows, conventions and concerts such as Monster Jam, Disney on Ice, and the Valero Alamo Bowl. George Strait played a concert in the Alamodome in June of 2013 setting an all time attendance record for the largest concert ever played in San Antonio; the attendance was 73,086 people.

The Alamodome was the home of the NBA World Champion San Antonio Spurs from the years of 1993 to 2002. Additionally, the Valero Alamo Bowl takes place here every year. The Alamodome was awarded the 2001 HOSPY Award for Outstanding Recreational Facility by the Greater San Antonio Hotel and Motel Association.