View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
This could be a really significant development, and I can certainly appreciate the allure of that waterfront location. My only hope is that this development doesn't lead to conflicts with the Burnside Industrial Park. Burnside may not be pretty, but it's an essential place for collecting those business that don't lend themselves well to "pretty", and the city has invested a lot of money in its development. I would hate to see anything jeopardize Burnside or make life difficult for its resident businesses.
There should be little to no land-use conflict. Residential (up to 16 floors with conditions) is only allowed on the waterside of Windmill Road and only commercial/industrial is allowed within 200 feet of the thoroughfare.

I think in the long-term (say 20 years);

- Windmill Road will be widened to 7-lanes and act as a major BRT corridor.
- The waterside of Windmill will be mostly residential of varying density with the exception of the steel plant at Victoria Road.
- There will be a significant commercial node at Windmill & Wright.
- From Windmill to the railway there will be mostly commercial offices with some light industrial.
- Uphill from the railway the industrial uses will intensify and heavy industry will continue migrating outwards onto new lands.

The Chronicle Herald had an article on this development tonight and there was a new rendering released maybe for the apartment building in phase II

Source : Dartmouth Project's Next Phase Set" (November 27th, 2013) - TheChronicleHerald.ca

Construction on the Hazelton will wrap up in late spring. Once that building is substantially complete Magazine Landing Phase I will commence. Residential Phase II will start in Spring 2015.