View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
I just had to stick my nose in here, because [Ruggles of Red Gap] is my favorite movie, period. It's a marvelous celebration of freedom, and of judging people by what they have inside and what they do with it, rather than by the labels people hang on them.

Charles Laughton's recitation of Lincoln's Gettysburg address, and the reaction of his barroom audience, always chokes me up. Comedies almost never do that.

When you want a palate cleanser after watching a particularly dark noir film, try this one. It's a nice change of pace, not exactly light fare, but definitely bright fare.
A story you might enjoy, from the 2012 book "The Hollywood Canteen" which was taken from a Photoplay article at the time:

Servcemen visiting the Canteen on a February night in 1943 got a special treat after bandleader Kay Kyer spotted Charles Laughton among the volunteers. When he asked the great actor to come up to the stage, Laughton said, "I'm no singer or comedian, so I can't entertain you, much as I would like to." Then a soldier yelled out, "Give us the Gettysburg Address!" which he had probably seen him do in the film Ruggles of Red Gap, and others picked up the cry. Then, amidst complete silence, Laughton delivered the historic speech. When he finished, there was thunderous applause from everyone -- and the wiping of tears from hundreds of eyes. Most of the time it had been jokes, snappy songs and swinging music -- whatever kept thoughts of war at bay -- that got the biggest hands. Yet that serious moment would never be forgotten.