View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 11:27 PM

Thank you for the "CHiPS" screen grabs Hoss. The first one includes a bit of the great "Union Jack" railing at the tunnel entrance. It's now chain-link.

The second image really took me back. DTLA was a wasteland then with adobe dust storms kicked up by any wind. It was so disorienting without addresses or buildings, we took to calling areas by their plat numbers. The plat maps were the only ones that made any sense. In the evenings, people would get attacked by marauders while trying make it across the expanses from one building to another. Strange times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
In the second episode there's another chase through the Civic Center (even though they leave the freeway at the Fairfax Avenue exit). Here's the parking garage of the State of California Building as seen from the entrance of the 2nd Street tunnel.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

The chase ends when they pull over the drunk driver on 2nd Street between Figueroa and the Harbor Freeway. Just for fun I thought I'd include this shot looking south-west from 2nd. The view was completely clear to the far side of 4th Street. It's likely that this episode was filmed in early 1977, so the Westin Bonaventure Hotel on the left would have only been about a year old at the time.

MGM TV/Rosner TV
East entrance to the Second Street Tunnel from above:

gsv

The history of the southwest corner of 1st and Broadway is here and here. (I shoulda found this before asking for help)

The first link also contains a bit of info on the Public Service Building (1928) and the Broadway Investment Building (1911), both of which can be seen in the gsv immediately above.

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 16, 2015 at 3:39 AM.