View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 2:50 AM

Hollywood & Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I happen to love these kinds of restaurants and they're disappearing at a pretty good clip, if you ask me.
I do too, and always try to eat at them if I can find them.

Found some sailors- not at the 7 Seas after all, but down the block at Hollywood & Vine.

here

And these buddies:

here

Loitering at this corner some more: all of these pictures were taken on a summer day, August 1944, by Life photographer John Florea and appeared (much cropped) in the Sept 4, 1944 issue. Maybe some have been here before but I like having them all together and seeing the people in the background (women, kids and older men mostly) and little details. All from here

Order Clerk Yvonne French

•Lady with the dog over the news vendor’s shoulder.
•Sign pointing south down Vine to the Hollywood Victory House. Like the Victory House in Pershing Square, a central place to buy & sell war bonds. It opened in the forecourt of Graumann’s Chinese in May 1942, then moved to Hollywood & Vine, not sure where exactly.

Window stylist Cecilia Fiala

Singer Carolyn Grey

Singer Marilyn Hall

•Adorable. Love her slacks and saddle shoes.
•Man in uniform walking by.

Students Joianne Breckenridge and Gloria Jones.

•The stylish man in the 10-gallon hat. Most of the (few) men in these shots are bareheaded, as are a lot of the women- especially the younger ones.
•The news vendor’s hat & coat on the lamp post.

Secretary Jane Yaeger

•Girl in the white snood has serious wedge envy or something.
•The peasant blouse-skirt-wedge look Jane and the girl behind her are sporting, a sort of very toned-down Carmen Miranda influenced style- was ridiculously popular all through the war years for summer casual-when fashion turned to south of the border for inspiration.

CityBoyDoug's mom wears a similar kind of outfit in the darling family photo he posted here: 27172

As seen on some NLA regulars:
Rita Ava

Jinx

Yvonne

Last edited by Noircitydame; Jul 11, 2015 at 5:29 AM.