View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:32 AM

Here's my theory on postmodernism. There's pros and cons to it.

The good thing was it challenged the modernism ideas that buildings need to have order and decoration is sin. The bad thing is the decoration of it often used unatractive colors and ugly ornaments. However I think its biggest flaw was that despite its rejection of modernism, many postmodern buildings still didn't do much to improve street level interactions between pedestrians and the building.

Overall despite some postmodernist buildings being ugly, you can see that the architects tried and I respect that because they led to a rebirth of experimental architecture.

Side note: I want to be clear that I don't hate modernism. Personally I think modernism only works on a small scale. The kinds of modernist buildings I don't like are the ones which are perfect rectangles, are white or grey, and have windows which don't let in enough light, making it look like a prison from far away. Very tall modernist buildings like this just make me think of a dystopian world with an overbearing authoritarioan big brother government that holds too much power over the citizens they've brainwashed.