View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 6:56 PM

I think I've now covered all the Julius Shulman Bank of America photosets from the early '50s (there are a couple from outside LA that I'm ignoring), but there are two or three later ones which I'll post. This one is "Job 4427: Hugh Gibbs and Don Gibbs, Bank of America (Long Beach, Calif.), 1968".

This is the Belmont Shore branch on East 2nd Street in Long Beach, between Granada Avenue and Nieto Avenue.

Here'a a view along the E 2nd Street side.

There are no long shots in this set, but it does come with a couple of interior photos.

I assume we're looking towards the Granada Avenue entrance in this shot.

All from Getty Research Institute

The color scheme has been lightened, and the signage updated, but I think the covering for the entrance is the only notable change.

GSV

In case you thought I was ignoring the maritime flags on the back wall of the bank, I'm not. Here they are with their corresponding letters. Reading down the columns you get "BANK OF AMERICA BELMONT SHORE BRANCH Q". I can't see any reason for the trailing "Q" - it may have been a plain white panel (it's tricky differentiating yellow from white in black and white shots!). Does anyone know if they're still there, or how long they lasted?