View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Ludicrous. It looks like something from a video game. Frankly, if you're going to take a bastard stab at Art Deco, just go ahead and do Art Deco.
But that is clearly not an attempt at Art Deco. It is not stylized into angular minimal representations of the decoration that has been added it is covered in realistic representations. It references Art Deco and Art Nouveau and futurism, but it isn't any of those things.

Personally I don't love this building I think it is a poorly executed idea but I think some of the idea it tries to use such as references to past styles being reinterpreted and used in a way that people would see as futuristic is a good idea. I think this building fails because there is no cohesion there is not enough harmony between the different parts that have been included there is not enough connection between the wing motif and the geometric patterns to make them work without adding to much tension.

I do agree this specific interpretation of that idea appears to be futuristic video game architecture, but I think it could be done tastefully and in a form that would work and could be a new style of architecture.