View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 1:41 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
They even have banana trees here in Kansas City.
yeah, they are popular in missouri. cannas also usually survive in the ground all winter in the inner cities and southern part of the state, and i used to have a euro palm that overwintered fine in the south st. louis city microclimate of brick and tar roofs on a southern exposure planted against a large expanse of concrete. now i live in a mid-century house in an inner suburb with no alleys/gangways and a lot more greenery so i don't know if they would make it. it does make a difference at this latitude, i know that people plant european palms in urban baltimore close to the harbor but they don't usually make it in the suburbs, same with cincinnati and d.c.

if you are interested in planting european palms, they should survive in central kansas city (doubtful if you like live in kansas city north on the prairie by the airport or SW JoCo or something with lots more wind and no urban heat island) on a southern exposure in a protected area close to some large areas of brick or concrete (walkway/foundation). you will need to build a small enclosure with christmas lights for subtle heat for intermittent arctic fronts (you remove the enclosure after the front passes).

/rant