View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Highly doubtful they'll stay in CFL stadiums permanently, the MLS/NASL experience is that crowds eventually drop and people tune out if they're in large near-empty stadiums with football lines all over the field. A 5,000-seat soccer stadium won't cost much (simply adding seats to an existing field at a school for example). The article also alludes to them looking to build a soccer-specific venue as well. Once the top teams get proper soccer stadiums then there'll be enormous pressure to upgrade. CSA has said repeatedly that they want to do this right and make this as professional as possible.

"The CPL is going to need to have some concrete affirmation that the community wants to rally around it and that there will be some sort of stadium development moving forward," said MacLean, noting that the team would need about 5,000 fans per game to survive.
I can't imagine SSS are a major priority for the league. Maybe twenty years down the road and if the league is a major success they'll try to push it but right now I just can't see it happen. Hamilton's team is a direct creation of Young's desire to fill dates at THF. Ottawa is the same. I can't imagine them changing their minds any time soon.

That said, this would be a great opportunity for a lot of universities to share their stadiums and hopefully get some upgrades. Griffiths Stadium in Saskatoon is a great example.