View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
There isn't the necessary space thru many sections for an entire line with double track. It'd require eminent domain that would destroy hundreds of homes between 183 and Manor Rd, which won't ever happen.

There are potential places in that stretch where you COULD double track without much problem (alongside Burnet MS & from Crestview St. to I-35), which would for all intents and purposes put the line in a position to operate as if it were entirely double tracked.
I don't believe this is an accurate statement.

1. CapMetro has future plans (or at least planning to plan) for double-tracking. It's included in the list of potential Project Connect 2.0 projects. Granted, that doesn't absolutely guarantee that they don't mean quote unquote "double-tracking" in a manner that you describe. But any concerns about sufficient Right of Way haven't surfaced in any of those discussions.

2. CapMetro's connections 2025 document called for eventually running the red line all-day/every-day. My interpretation is that this would then require (in the off peak) to be running passenger service and freight at the same time. A fully double-track would allow one track to be used for the lower frequency off-peak passenger service, and the other to be used for freight.

3. From the original planning document for the potential red-line bike/pedestrian trail, it seems like the width needed for double-tracking is only 35 feet.

https://www.capmetro.org/uploadedFil...l%20report.pdf

I don't believe there's anywhere along the line where the RoW is less than this. Even between 183 and Manor road. Through Wooten/Crestview, it seems to be consistently 50 feet of RoW (via google satellite). The document also seems to imply this is the minimum

" This is especially challenging in areas where Capital Metro’s right-ofway
is only 50 feet wide and the required trail setbacks preclude trail development in the right-of-way "

The map later in that document also has 50' and 100' markings for RoW, but nothing smaller.

It also mentions future double-tracking.
" While several corridor segments presently have a single track, Capital Metro intends to
double-track the corridor in conjunction with the future commuter rail line. Future railroad sidings are also
planned in several locations (e.g., near the M.L. King, Jr., Burnet, Lakeline and Leander stations, and in the
area north of Howard Lane). Triple tracks are also planned in the area north of Howard Lane. "