View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:22 AM

What's in a name

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
one question

why does every hamiltonian refer to neighbourhoods as surveys, when everyone else I know in Ontario uses the term subdivision? It is completely unheard of, I did a double take the first time I heard my 'subdivision' refered to as a survey. And as far as I know, it's a local phenomenon.

neat pics, neat to see way back when. I just wish some were in colour but whatever. I just noticed the caption in one picture stating survey. haha
A neighbourhood is a particular named area, used by a municipality, to distinguish one area from another and can contain several hundred acres.
A plan of subdivision subdivides a larger area, usually a township lot, into building lots. Hamilton surveyors historically named these subdivisions, on the plan, to more readily determine the plans location. If a subdivision is in Thorner Neighbourhood, for example, it might be called "Thorner Survey No 2" and your legal title would be "Lot 15, Thorner Survey No 2, Registered Plan No 1234 in the City of Hamilton etc." Therefore if your deed says you live in Thorner Survey, it is understandable if you say you live in a survey. While this was not a common practice throughout Ontario, it was not peculiar only to Hamilton.