View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:40 PM
HVAC guru

I definitely don't think that there's even that much homogeneity between BC and Alberta small towns. There may be some traits that are similar such as the politics but overall I do find BC small towns to be quite different than Alberta ones, to varying degrees.

Quote:
BC is dominated by Vancouver, both politically and economically. And I would argue that Vancouver is so different from Edmonton and Calgary that there's very little feeling of "brotherhood." I've been in all three cities and when I'm in Vancouver I feel like I'm in a totally different country. The culture is more progressive in Vancouver, but then you also have the COMPLETELY different climate/environment. On the surface you might say that both provinces are very dependent on natural resources for their economies, and that's true, but when you're in Vancouver you never get a sense of it. You don't really come across people that are flying in and out of coal mines, for example. But when you're in Edmonton it sometimes feels like 9/10 people are oil sands workers or somehow in tune with what's happening "up North."
I pretty much agree with this. Vancouver is a completely different beast from the Alberta cities. Calgary used to be brash and ballsy but this last downturn has really hit that city hard. It'll bounce back though. Edmonton is and will remain the work camp for the oil sands