View Single Post
Old Posted May 26, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Tech jobs provide a LOT more economic output per worker than the industries you mentioned. The software boom ("Silicon Slopes" or whatever you want to call it) is a massive driver of our economic boom at the moment. No, it's not the only thing, but it's much more significant than you're making it out to be. It's the #1 reason why Utah has one of the best economies in the country right now, and it's driving the majority of the development around Point of the Mountain, which is also where the most development is currently occurring.
You seem to think that I made the argument that tech aren't better jobs. I didn't and I'm glad that we have them. As far as the multiplier effect of those jobs I would argue that SLC has benefitted to a great degree, being the center of the metro, to those tech dollars being spent.

Your argument that tech Jobs have made Lehi the center of our region doesn't really hold water because it simply hasn't materialized. Lehi has not pulled people out of SLC, there is more now than ever. It hasn't canibalized DT business, it has boosted it.

Srlsy. Canvas 100 Lehi residents about the last time they were in downtown SLC. Canvas 100 SLC residents and ask about the last time they were in "DT" Lehi. The claim that a disproportionate number of good jobs makes Lehi the center is ridiculous. It's just not true.

there are plenty of very high paying jobs in Salt Lake City. there are more total jobs in Salt Lake City. People who live and work outside of Salt Lake City tend to visit Salt Lake City for any number of activities. Salt Lake City is the headquarters of a church in about 10 million people. It is the state capitol. It is the heart of finance in Utah.

It is not a zero sum game game. Lehi's success is not at the expense of SLC it is to her benefit more often than not. Rather than usurping SLC'S place in the region Lehi has bolstered it.