View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
You are correct that the spandrel panels are not failing the tests, but the main windows are, repeatedly (!).

For clarification, this is not a curtain wall, but a cheap window system. The same window manufacturer that was used on another Magellan project, Exhibit over on LaSalle...

The glass, and the glass manufacturer is not the problem either.

The problem is with the window frames. The manufacturer of the windows has been forced to design and develop new dies to manufacture a new window system with new extrusions....

Who'd ever thought you would have a problem using a cheap existing window system on a super tall with an uniquely convoluted envelope...

I have also heard this from a friend in the curtain wall industry. The entire project finish date will most likely be delayed. It is indeed alarming.

On another note, I've always looked at how NYC projects are almost always curtain wall and Chicago projects are almost always window wall. Is that just due to higher profile buildings/more money to be spent? I didn't think it could get much higher profile than Vista. If done right this building can be world class.