View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
So here's a question. I've heard different names for what this area is called. Personally I think of it as kinda like an Uptown, however I guess Uptown would be more towards the Highland area. So I wanted to know what everyone here refers to it? Part of the Capitol Complex? Uptown? Quasi indefinable region of DT?? lol. The bridge between DT and UT..
This is an interesting question. Downtown to me is really Market District, 2nd Street, Warehouse district, Rainey, etc.

West Campus & Campus were always distinct to me, and plenty of students referred to “downtown” in a different context. This middle part I always considered an undefined “bridge” like you said.

However, I think we’re starting to see a blend. This gap is pivotal to merging these two urban sections, and I think within the next 5 or so years, new developments and infill, even of the mid-rise variety are going to play a role into expanding the definition of “downtown”

Brackenridge would obviously be a huge catalyst, but I think 410 Uptown is a great example of a project blurring the line. That’s Class A High-rise office, just a stones throw from West Campus.

So neighborhood wise, this area might be roped into the capitol complex, but I think eventually the CBD, West Campus, this area, statesman site, and bleedover into East Austin (Think Plaza Saltillo) will all be defined as downtown more or less.