Thread: LRT Stage 3
View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Simpson View Post
A subway down Bank St. is the most logical choice. Sorry, but suburban hells like Kanata should not get the LRT to the very end. This city will not develop properly if you are ignoring the downtown core. Montreal Road would be my second choice. This is a low income area that could greatly benefit from better transportation and these people will use it outside of peak hours Monday to Friday.
That would be my personal choice, but speaking objectively, Barrhaven and Kanata (Corel Centre) is probably the best option for Stage 3 in order to complete the suburban piece of our rapid-transit network.

Extending the Trillium to Chaudière/Zibi should also be part of Stage 3; relatively cheap and should be easy to convince the Feds to fund on their own. Anything else from Gatineau to Ottawa should be completed by Gatineau.

Next, Ottawa should focus on the Bank-Rideau-Montreal corridor.

For the other options, I assume Orleans means building the Cumberland Transitway as rail? That could be part of Stage 5 as an extension of the Montreal Road subway.

Rural commuter rail could be considered as the 6th priority if we ever re-open Union as our railway terminus.

As for the S/E Transitway, I don't see that ever needing to be converted.

As for Trillium, it should be double tracked and electrified bit-by-bit over the next few decades.

What I see as the City's priority based on the current mentality is Kanata/Barrhaven/Gatineau, followed by Cumberland Transitway as rail and then the S/E Transitway. I would greatly disapprove of this sequencing.