View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdawe View Post
If you're going to go all the way over to Georgia, why dive back to Waterfront in the first place? To connect to the West Coast Express?

Remember, Waterfront is, well, on the water front. It's catchment area contains a lot of...water. And rail yards. And docks. and other things that don't generate many trips

Stick to Georgia at that point, and you'll catch a lot more jobs and residences within 800 meters of stations, with reasonable connections to existing lines to boot
It's on Robson. Also, see what I said earlier about Hub Stations. Also, the Streetcar would connect there, as well as any potential commuter rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Trying to find it. Note that the 25k estimate assumes four-car trains, not five-car (which gets you 32k).

Large hubs would definitely be useful... but how? My other point is that the current hubs are pretty boxed in - there's almost nowhere to go without land acquisition and/or temp station shutdowns.

Without trying to restart said argument, there's a whole lot of present and future ridership that's going to the West End, not through it.

Yes, yes it is - now I'm the one not getting it. Poor communication for everybody!
Problem with Crystal Mall is that the owners and customers seem to like it as it is; much easier to move a dozen homeowners. And while the River District on its own doesn't necessarily justify an extra 3-4 klicks, a neighbourhood rezoning and a connection to a Marine Drive tram might...

Sure, just seems like a waste to scrap a perfectly good fleet of catamarans.
TBF- Now that I think about it that actually might be me you're referencing. 35-38k is pretty much the ballpark from my calculations. Sorry. And no, the 38k assumes 72s frequency. 25k is TransLink, and assumes 5-car, 90s.

Then acquire new lands. I mean, Waterfront is the easiest place for that in DT. (Though obviously still expensive/difficult) Honestly, it's worth it, even with a West End Subway, which isn't likely to capture any of the buses from the south or East (most of the post-NS Skytrain bus traffic). The current bus bays also aren't exactly high-capacity either.

Anyways, I don't even think you'd have to move the homeowners, since any Skytrain on Willingdon would almost certainly be tunneled. Hence asking about the land rights underneath a home- if TransLink would have to acquire any land rights.

Side note, would it be better to leave the Stations in the DTES as 'future stations' to avoid having to deal with the DTES on Hastings (at least until it stops being such a ghetto)? Yes, Skytrain would probably help with revitalization, but that's not exactly a guarantee (Whalley).