View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 2:09 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Hey! Looks like there's lots going on up there! Congrats!
I'm enjoying discovering it all too. Northern Indiana is a happening place right now. And close enough to my neck of the woods to keep me interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post

Mishawaka -

There's a lot of info in the below article and the mayor's recent state of the city address about developments in Mishawaka. Too much for me to unpack tonight, but definitely a good primer for current developments in Northern Indiana's... 6th largest city (I had to google that) -
Here's one of the major projects from the article above. Mishawaka purchased the former Liberty Mutual Insurance building at Main and Lincoln Way in 2019 for a couple million. The plan is to spend ~ $20 million to repurpose it as the new city hall, plus headquarters for the police department and the public utilities department. This seems like a logical move, considering (a) the central location of the building and (b) it's size (nearly 94,000 SF), which will make it hard to find a new commercial tenant in this economy. While Liberty's departure was a blow to the downtown tax base, public officials have made the case that by consolidating and relocating their facilities, they are actually freeing up more real estate for other commercial uses throughout town. And with its 1985 architecture, the building already looks like a "contemporary" city hall design (though it looks like they'll be removing a lot of the angled glass aesthetics). Alliance Architects led the design, and construction is scheduled to begin this spring -

Source: South Bend Tribune | Robert Franklin

Source: South Bend Tribune | Courtesy Rendering