View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 6:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Honestly, I don't think it's so much of a case of whether it's a 'current style' or not (though arguably monochrome isn't really a new concept), but how the aesthetic will age.
I think people are going to look back on circa 2020 architecture in Halifax and wonder why it was so repetitive and dull, with almost every building being grey/white with the odd black element. I believe these buildings have a distinctive style and aren't a reversion to timeless architectural principles (the closest we have to that is classical architecture).

Historically there have not been a lot of black and whilte buildings. Most architecture was in earth tones and wood, even in the 70's. And natural environments people live in tend not to have so much contrast or such extremes. Black and white (with gold etc.) is a "luxury" aesthetic that arguably is meant to look artificial.

I'm waiting for new architecture that isn't afraid of ornamentation and natural forms, and uses modern technology (e.g. CNC) to greater effect than what we saw in, say, the Art Nouveau period. Right now I think we have an unholy mix of leftover modernism and "value engineering".