View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The Bell Fibe cable actually got run to my house literally yesterday, so I'm aware of Bell's efforts to bring gigabit internet to Hamilton . Luckily Cogeco is already serving my house.. but competition is always good.

And yes, a big benefit of the LRT will be the City's ability to untangle the mess under King Street and run modern servicing infrastructure right through the lower city to better accommodate the coming intensification..

Toronto failed to properly plan for it and is facing huge issues right now as the additional stormwater coming from all the new condo buildings is overloading the storm sewers. Basically whenever a condo builds underground parking it has to pump the water that flows into the garage out into the storm sewers, and while the city requires stormwater holding tanks to ensure the water is pumped into the system during off peak periods, the sheer volume of new buildings is starting to overwhelm the system. Toronto is now forcing buildings to "bathtub" by making their garages waterproof so that they don't pump water into the stormwater system, but that is very, very expensive and has other effects like raising the water table on existing buildings, increasing the amount they have to pump out.. It's a gigantic mess. The solution is to build more storm sewers but that takes municipal initiative which Toronto doesn't have!

Hopefully Hamilton thinks ahead a bit and throws down some oversized storm sewers under King St, especially given that the additional cost is only the incremental cost over replacing the existing sewers which Metrolinx is paying for.. We'll see if that happens with this council or not.
This is probably the biggest benefit of the LRT that the critics seem to completely overlook. The province is volunteering to completely pay to modernize the infrastructure along the route.

In my opinion the LRT project is not even really about public transportation. It's about modernizing the infrastructure, knocking down derelict buildings and rezoning to allow for high rise intensification. A project that will ultimately lay the ground work for the economic development of the lower city. An area of the city that has been stagnant for so many decades.