View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 10:55 PM
Space Magi

So I mocked this up in MS Paint today because I had a day off. Curious what you guys think of this for a future downtown rail network:

Notes:
  • Rio Grande Plan train box is assumed to be in place (FrontRunner stops at North Temple and Rio Grande)
  • Orange is the new University-to-airport line that has long been planned. To the east, it would interline with Red until splitting off to terminate at the U's Research Park.
  • The Blue Line fully encircles downtown and to make this work without adding another new line, you'd need trains to alternate between clockwise and counterclockwise going around the loop starting from Ballpark. Kinda weird but it might work.
  • Getting people to and from various destinations like the U, Rio Grande, the airport, and the CBD is tricky without completely rethinking the entire network. This is what I came up with after thinking about some of the tradeoffs.
  • Greektown and Salt Lake Central would be abandoned in this scenario in favor of the direct 400 W line and Rio Grande Central Station. Another thought I had for these two stations is that they could be part of a new streetcar line along 200S but I didn't include that here.
  • The half-block between the Rio Grande Depot and Pioneer Park could be completely pedestrianized