View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 10:45 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Neat! What are you quoting, BTW?

My first thought is that this may be an opening for that long-shot possibility Atlas and I were discussing some months ago about dual-power locomotives (in order to justify electric catenary in the Rio Grande Plan train box). Obviously still on the far edge of what is likely to happen, but with specific funding it comes slightly closer to possible. Especially since the most likely option - the Siemens Charger locomotive - is getting several dual-power variants designed already for Amtrak and Metro North commuter rail.
Those Dual-power locomotives cost $12.5 million per locomotive (according to Metro North) , and UTA would need at least 10 in order to cover its existing 30 minute schedule (and twice that to increase frequency to 15 minutes!). A diesel-only Charger costs around $11.5 million (based on Amtrak's most recent purchase), so maybe the cost difference isn't that awful. $5 million for 15 years would certainly cover difference, anyway. Maybe even also pay for electrifying the initial segment between North Temple and Murray.
Sorry, I should have mentioned. This is in the minutes from the last Local Advisory Council Meeting.

It would be useful to know if the charger could easily be refitted for dual mode, because then UDOT could just buy regular Chargers and reconfigure them when the time comes.

The charger seems like a very versatile locomotive. My understanding is that Metro North and Amtrak are ordering very different versions. Metro North is buying chargers with a third rail shoe whereas Amtrak's are more or less normal chargers but they will use a "power car" with a pantograph and an extra set of powered wheels, they will also use a "Battery Car" that will function similarly but only be capable of pulling the train through Penn Station, because trains are too heavy for long distance battery operation. I honestly hope Amtrak dumps the Battery Car in favor of the Metro North style locomotives, because Dual Mode chargers have almost no trade off, as I understand they have no horsepower penalty compared to the P32AC/DM, which is significantly less powerful than others in it's family. The battery car seems excessive here.