Thread: The Dad Thread
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 7:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Both my parents were 19 when I was born. I think I might have been an 'oops'.

I had my first kid at 29, much more sensible
I was positively ancient, aged 36 for my first and 38 for my second (at 53 now, I am at the age when many dads of times past would have been a grandfather....some of my friends are already grandfathers).

Young people often don't realize how narrow that optimal window is. In my case, I was in school until I was 24, then career for 5 years, then back to school, ostensibly for a Master's degree only, but then I decided to also do a PhD and the years that this took....suddenly you are in your mid thirties, without much economic resources, and you've got to get your career (back) on track, start a family, buy a home, etc....

Mind you, I still felt fresh and young at 36....big difference than now at 53 (even though physically, I am in good shape, but the years take their toll regardless). You have to think backwards: If I wait until__ to have a kid, how old will I be if the kid stays home until they are 24 years old? And then, if I want to have more kids in the future...same mental calculus applies.