View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 5:53 PM
loafing in lotusland

The bids were also not allowed to use the existing efficiencies of using the same technology on both lines for things like Maintenance efficiencies in their cost benefits.

That would allowed more creativity for the Bombardier proposal.

At the time, there was still some sentiment that SkyTrain was niche technology that Vancouver was saddled with... that it was some fancy one-of-a-kind gadgetbahn. Of course, since then... automated systems have popped up all over, even ones using LIM. I'm sure any number of rail operators could have built replacement trains or extended the line as the technology and automated nature of the SkyTrain system isn't all that special after all.

There was a Light Rail boom in North America overall. Much of that sentiment has died down, even in the US... so there was an appetite for so-called conventional off-the-shelf systems.

Also part of the reason they went with the Rotem cars was perhaps not to not "tie" themselves to one manufacturer.

RavXPress trains were not only faster, but they'd have longer platforms. Admittedly, though, the wider Rotem trains are nice, especially with trains that go to the airport. I didn't know that they planned an additional station at the airport. I'm curious where that would have gone. As it stands now, there are only 3 stations... (with one future space for an expanded international terminal station) but RavXPress had 5 stops. Burkeville, perhaps?