View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2023, 7:42 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
My bad, it’s actually 45 years (as of 2021). So fast-forward two years and another decade, and there’s still ~33 years left to go – throwing away that bridge for the sake of one SkyTrain isn’t as easy a decision as 10-15 years.

The Port Mann, George Massey, Golden Ears et al are each supposed to be compatible with train service, but that never actually happens. Perhaps there’s advantages to having one bridge for traffic and another bridge for trains?
Leaving three decades of useful life on the table would seem like a waste to me. We have no idea how much a traffic/Skytrain combo bridge would cost compared to a Skytrain along bridge, but I think it's safe to guess multiple billions of dollars? Especially if extra lanes are added to the bridge, because then the project will have to include new interchanges and possibly highway widening on both sides of the inlet.

I, for one, would not want North Shore Skytrain delayed a decade or two because a $3? $4? $5? billion transit project needs a $3? $4? $5? billion roadworks project to be completed first to get said transit across the inlet.