Thread: Old Halifax
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If you look closely at Victorian houses around Halifax, masonry construction above the foundation is pretty common. I think there are a lot of houses that have wooden cladding on top of brick (I've read that the more colourful painted wood siding was in fashion back then, but I don't remember the source). There are also a lot of masonry buildings that were covered in siding in recent decades. There are also many rowhouses that are stucco on brick.

I like to point out buildings like this one: https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.63565...2!8i6656?hl=en

Note the brick around the doorway. I'm guessing this one is mostly or entirely masonry construction.
You are right! I stumbled upon some photos from the sixties on the Municipal Archives site that show parts of that building and it does appear that it was of masonry construction.

I believe it is on the right in this photo apparently taken from Victoria looking towards Inglis:

And a little bit of it on the right in this shot - can't tell for sure but it almost looks like it has been stuccoed over the brick. You can see the entrance to 5429 Inglis just ahead:

Source - search for "[5429] Inglis St."