View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
OK, now show me a picture like that with a Bed Bath and Beyond and a Toys R Us in it.

I think there has been a misunderstanding. I do have (a) kid and I totally appreciate the experience of shopping and grabbing a bite and a drink. I just don't see how that squares with the the suburban sprawl big box stores we're discussing.
What do you mean? It looks just like that picture only the stores would say Bed, Bath and Beyond and Toys R Us. Have you been to NYC, San Francisco, etc? Just because a brand can normally be found in a suburban big box store format, doesn't mean they won't pack into a smaller urban scaled environment if the bottom line is worth it.

And I think you're totally off about what online retailing is doing to brick and mortar retailing. Online retailing means there will be fewer and fewer brick and mortar locations for brands, but it's not like they'll entirely disappear. People are buying online with greater frequency but there will always be need to go and get something in person or to get something immediately. In fact many brands that started off as online only such as Bonobos and Warby Parker now have brick and mortar locations for just that reason.

And the thing is, if a brand is going to reduce the number of brick and mortar stores they have by 50% or even 75%, the stores that are left will not be big box stores in the middle of nowhere. They'll be the urban concept stores and the stores located in major mall like KOP. As much as brands have been closing brick and mortar stores as of late, they're certainly not closing them in thriving downtown locations or major malls. Absolutely no reason why stores like the ones Londonee mentioned shouldn't have brick and mortar locations in CC.