View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 10:31 AM

The former Johnston Elementary School in Wilkinsburg is getting a new life as the combined HQ of an extreme pogo company and for-profit community-oriented co-working space (and I promise I will stop noting this soon, but this is yet another in a series of recent great "living-the-Millenial-dream" articles I have seen):

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-d...mmunity-forge/

Quote:
Ryan, a Carnegie Mellon grad, is the CEO and co-founder of Xpogo. (If you’re not familiar with them, it’s exactly what you’re thinking: an extreme pogo-sticking company.) Formerly based in New York, he was originally looking for a headquarters for his business when he came across the property. There was just one problem: it was too big; it needed something else.

That’s when Ryan’s real estate agent introduced him to a group of six local educators and Ph.D.s working together as Pittsburgh Learning Commons, who were also looking at the space. The two parties joined forces and harmonized their vision: Community Forge will provide community-oriented programming, business and co-working space and will also serve as a community events space. . . .

Ryan imagines a CMU tech startup that also teaches after-school STEM lessons, or a local real estate agent who offers evening classes on first-time home ownership. A large portion of the 20-plus classrooms will be offered at a discount for mission-driven small businesses looking to benefit the community. In addition to after-school programming, Community Forge also hopes to transform the former library into a theater/arts space and fix up the playgrounds adjacent for basketball and pogoing. They plan to tailor their vision as time progresses with input from the community.
As noted in the article, because this group is for-profit, the building is going back on the tax rolls.

The building is a fairly typical cool old school building, with a prominent location as it is on the path into Downtown Wilkinsburg from the highway:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4376...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by BrianTH; Aug 15, 2017 at 8:06 PM.