View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 4:23 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennanW View Post
I'm thinking there are a considerable number of developers backing the project so they can build out the West side of the lake on the cheap - without paying for a bridge themselves.
I could see developers paying for the bridge during the housing bubble, where there was a perception that developers could net millions and billions of dollars. But now?

I could see a developer dropping up to $25-100 million to drop a traditional road in the incite growth. But to build a 14-mile fly-over ramp? That's going to be nearly a BILLION dollars. How many centuries would it take for the developers to break even?

As sad as I am to see this project die (I loved the renderings of the bridge I saw), I have to say --- finding out the financial backers were scam artists ... well, it suddenly all makes sense.

So, could they go after state tax dollars now, as you suggest? Absolutely. But I think it's an uphill battle -- and the state transportation commission has bigger fish to fry:

- Initial build-out of the Mountain View Corridor
- Full build-out of the Mountain View Corridor
- I-15 re-construction from Draper to Lehi
- North Davis Highway (Legacy North)
- US-6 safety upgrades
- Southern and Western Parkways, St. George

Not much room on that list for a superfluous and controversial bridge, even if it is really cool looking.