View Single Post
Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:53 PM

Most of the Phoenix discussion goes on in the Regional Section, but since it's been literally years since a substantial update here, I thought I'd try to give a bit of an omnibus update here.

Generally, Phoenix is doing OK. A lot of the development currently in the core is indistinguishable 4-5 story apartment boxes, similar to those that seem to be going up around the country. There are a couple of smaller high rises recently completed or under construction. And there are several more in the pipeline. Part of the struggle in Phoenix is that they've created a precedent of giving highrise developments in the core property tax breaks (structured as GPLETs--government property lease excise tax, where basically the City owns the property and "leases" the property back to the developer at a rate that would be less than the property taxes). Nearly every project now seeks a tax break, and it slows down projects, creates tension with other property owners that end up footing the property tax bill, and even now has resulted in a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality (under the Arizona constitution) of GPLETs generally.

With that said, here are the notable projects. Grabbing some of the pictures from other threads, not all are the best.

Recently Completed:

Portland on the Park. 15-floor condo project.

Luhrs City Center Marriott. 19-story hotel.

University of Arizona Biosciences Building.

Under Construction:

Banner Hospital Tower:

Central Park East Fairfield Inn. 11 stories.

Block 123 office/residential

Notable Proposals

The Stewart

Derby Roosevelt Row

3rd & Pierce

Barrister Place

I'll try to update with the lowrises.