View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 1:58 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

What are some legal differences between provinces?

So, reading about the cannabis legislation in different provinces, it made me wonder what some of the other legal differences between provinces are.

What are any and all examples you can think of?

Some I've come across...

- In NL, you only need to have a licence plate on the back of your vehicle. There are none in the front, unless they're decorative.

- In NL, depending on which neighbourhood and home you buy (in heritage areas), you have to apply to the City even to change your interior wall paint colour.

- In NL, gated communities are illegal. Also, with only a few exceptions, if you own coastal property, you must allow a public trail along the shoreline IF it is developed by a municipality or community organization. In some cases, that literally means there is a popular public hiking trail that crosses your front step:

- In NL, you can get the gender on your government identification, including birth certificate, changed without having had gender surgeries.

- In NL, hookah lounges are illegal.

- In NL, any store - corner stores, gas stations, barber shops, bakeries, basically anywhere with a cash register - can sell locally-brewed beer. That's why we still have breweries doing Canadian macros, and also why they're labelled differently here (India, Jockey Club, Dominion, Black Horse, Blue Star).

- In NL, it's illegal to catch even a single cod for yourself outside of the designated "food fishery".

- In NL, restaurants and groceries can sell wild game (here that's usually moose, seal, turr, etc.)

- In NL, the driver in the passing lane must yield to the driver in the slow lane when the passing lane ends.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's many more. What about you?