View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 10:58 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Looks like three Oakland NIMBYs have banded together in an attempt to get a judge to overturn the ZBA approval of the new 10-story Walnut Capital office building in Oakland (PBT link - openable in incognito mode)

I'm really pessimistic about this. It seems that every time some randos willing to hire a lawyer appeal a ZBA approval, they win in court.

Realistically, what the city should do is a comprehensive rezoning/upzoning. We shouldn't rely upon these special variances to get the big projects done.
I forget if zoning updates are done every 5 or 10 years, but I agree. I know my township updated ours after about 6 or 7 years. That was a months-long process as there were many drastic changes that needed to be addressed.

Even when you just adopt a comprehensive plan, things change, and the zoning, land use, SALDO, etc all need to reflect that change. So yes, I agree that it's probably time Pittsburgh updates its zoning ordinance since things are drastically changing. Wasn't there an article recently in the Business Times about Oakland possibly going vertical, like really vertical (couldn't read the article since I don't have a subscription)? Me thinks zoning definitely needs to reflect that.