View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPittsburgh View Post
Some good preservation news:
I recently spoke with ELDI (East Liberty Development Incorporated) about the status of Saint Peter's and Paul's Church in East Liberty (http://goo.gl/maps/QeRI8) and ELDI is coming close to closing on the property, and is hoping to begin planning for restoration shortly.
Looks good. I presume they're also going to save the other two buildings on the church grounds?

Also in that area, I heard relatively recently that the weird little "Omega Place" sub neighborhood which survived urban renewal is getting knocked down. ELDI has bought out all but one of the rowhouses now, and plans to offer the land for a "phase 3" of the Fairfield Apartments (probably in concert with the URA, since they also own some vacant parcels around here).

I'm torn on this redevelopment. On one hand, I do think the greater good of the development - which will result in residences again the whole length down Larimer Avenue - is worth it. Not to mention Omega Place doesn't fit the modern road pattern for the area. On the other hand, the old rowhouses are actually nice, and much more urban in style than the Fairfield Apartments themselves.