View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This could be true but there are also more mundane justifications for less parking in new buildings in the future. There's more and more stuff available by delivery or within walking distance in downtown Halifax, and younger people (now even those in their 30's, in 10 years this will be people in their 40's) drive a lot less and in many cases don't even have licenses.
Many car manufacturers expect to have vehicles that are self-driving on highways by 2020 and completely driverless in all environments several years later (roughly 2025-2030), so it's not all that far away. About 95% of all new cars sold in 2040 are expected by be fully autonomous.

Obviously, some will opt-in before others for various reasons, but it's not unreasonable to posit that somebody born today may never need to get a license nor own a car. Those who still do 15 yrs from now might increasingly be looked at as a sort of oddity, like someone who still buys CDs today!

Were I to move into this building, I'd likely sell my vehicle, and make use of the many CarShare cars in the area until such time as a useable fleet of fully autonomous cars arrives on the scene.

Some developers are offering discounts on CarShare Halifax memberships to tenants.