View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbassett View Post
Gas prices should be higher. The fact that the gas tax hasn't been risen or even adjusted for inflation since the 80s is a travesty. I feel no sympathy for those that are slaves to the pump, while I understand that most don't really have a choice but to be car dependent because of the nature of their living arrangement and professions, America needs petroleum prices to rise and never fall back down. In order to really revolutionize our infrastructure and move away from our automobile dependent lifestyle we need to hurt all car drivers in their wallets, then they'll eventually be clamoring for better public transit and more dense, walkable neighborhoods once they realize that complaining about rising gas prices is useless and cheap, widely available gas is a thing of the past.
I think the last time gas taxes had risen was during the Clinton administration. Although I agree that they should be higher, it's just hard to imagine that happening in this political environment. Any politician proposing a gas tax increase, at least at the national level, would get absolutely savaged. Even with the current increase which is based on speculation and rising demand from China, we have demagogues like Gingrich promising to magically lower the gas prices to $2.50 a gallon when they get elected.

Philadelphia is not a city of palaces for the few, but a city of homes for the many.