View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 3:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I won't post the whole Charter here, but it's worth 5 minutes to go take a look at it.

An important thing to remember is that almost all provisions of the Charter apply to all those in Canada, even non-citizens (the only notable exception being voting). In contrast, the US Constitution does not apply evenly to everyone within their borders. So someone claiming asylum or applying for citizenship while in Canada can challenge immigration practices which may be discriminatory or unfair on the basis of their Charter rights.
Hmm, so you're basically saying that unlike the citizens of most countries, Canadians really don't have much in the way of recourse in order to protect their way of life from rapid cultural change because the Charter guarantees rights to anyone who manages to set foot on Canadian soil?

I see that levels of immigration can be controlled by the state and French/English are enshrined as official languages (which I did know beforehand) and is good imo. Otherwise I do find what you just said quite troubling.