View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:53 PM

OhioGuy:
Quote:
That's why I always try to position myself for where I'm going. For example, when I take the red line in the morning to Gallery Place to switch to the yellow line, I know it's best to be in the first car because it lines up perfectly with the walkway down to the lower level yellow/green line platforms. Meanwhile in the afternoon I always try to be in the 2nd car from the front on the yellow line because it lines up with the escalators up to the red line platform at Gallery Place. And once I'm there, I usually try to make my way down to the middle or forward door of the 3rd car from the front because it lines up with the Dupont north escalators to exit (I used to exit at Dupont South and would always try to board the 6th car on the red line, but Dupont South is frustratingly closed until this fall).
I try to do the same, but as my girlfriend said, many of the people walk on the platform like they are strolling through a field of daisies. Similarly, the briefcases or bags with the wheels on them have got to go. They are not at all compatible with efficient movement on the platforms. Unless you're traveling over a hundred miles, leave these things at home.

Regarding the escalators, there has been a discussion before about this but why is it taking nine months (WMATA-speak for one and a half years) to replace three escalators? I understand the complexity of this, but surely other countries could replace a couple of escalators in just a few months.