View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I understand there's huge use of the Port Mann right now. But then in 2009: you have the Golden Ears Bridge. Trust me a lot of the traffic will be going to that. There are a lot of South of Fraser to Tri-Cities commuters, and many of which use the Port Mann.

If you have the Sapperton Bar, again, there's the alternative. It wouldn't be a "sidestreet" as long as you make sure it's 100% freeway from the Hwy1 to SFPR, and SFPR to Bridge, Bridge to Hwy 1, many of which would take that route. Vancouver and Burnaby commuters can take either route as you'll end up in merging with the Hwy 1 anyways.

It's that thinking that got this region into trouble in the first place. Twinning the Pattullo, adding the Sapperton Bar bridge, adding the Golden Ears, and Twinning the Port Mann are ALL required for long term projected regional growth over the next 20 years. Not to mention the Port Mann isn't _just_ about roads which is what a lot of people fail to acknowledge. It is including a massive expansion of bus service along Highway 1, improved interchanges along the entire highway including some major work to be done around Cape Horn and around that area, and also the ability to expand A/LRT over the bridge in the future.

In 20 years the population south of the fraser will be considerably higher than north of the fraser, yet a lot of infrastructure and jobs will still be in Burnaby and Vancouver so we can't ever fully get away from having to cross that bridge. With the expansion of Coquitlam and a lot of dev around United and the flats there of Coquitlam, a large bulk of traffic heads specifically to Coquitlam and Highway 1 / Sapperton Bar would service completely different areas.

Also people should note the SFRP will NOT have a connection at the Port Mann. Once you come through the Pattullo flats, your next connection off the SFPR will be at Golden Ears so the new SFRP will not logically link to the Port Mann. I don't see how they can hook them given the elevation difference anyway.