View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 4:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
We don't have anything like the Public Gardens in Moncton. I guess the closest thing would be Victoria Park in the central downtown area. It has flower gardens, some monuments (including the cenotaph) and a bandstand. It is open in the winter but has no special programs.

Centennial Park in the city's west end has lighted and groomed cross country ski trails in the winter and they maintain a skating oval on the pond there. They also flood and maintain an outdoor skating rink at City Hall in the winter as well. They have decorative lighting on the surrounding trees too. It can be quite festive!

My two cents - there is no reason why the Public Gardens can't be kept open in the winter (as long as they can keep people off the grass). The gardens is one of my favourite places in Halifax.
I find Centennial Park very enjoyable. I went there last summer during a dog-walking event. I can't recall if it was fundraiser for the SPCA... Regardless -- there were many different breeds to see.

In terms of parks for downtown Moncton: I dream of the riverfront getting relandscaped, especially now that the Petitcodiac is widening.

If I was the landscaper in charge, I would mainly use white birch trees to embrace what is the most common species found in Moncton's marsh areas around Wheeler -- and what you find along the riverfront on Dieppe's side. It would provide a nice, rich, white scattered border for the downtown!

And not to again criticise Moncton's addiction to sprawl, as I remember seeing a community garden project in Truro that utilised mature trees from newly deforested areas in Bible Hill, but Moncton's future infrastructural projects mostly involve clearing large portions of land; essentially, there would be plenty of opportunity to relocate healthy, mature specimens to the riverfront -- saving on the cost of new trees.