View Single Post
Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMetropolis View Post
A couple of questions:

Is the subway plan sill going to extend all the way to Santa Monica, or did that get scraped?  Does this mean that the subway extension is going to be stuck going as far as UCLA/Westwood?

Anyone one know anything about the high speed rail plans, and if they are going to actually happen in LA or in California, at all?  And the LA Union station plans seem unrealistic, please tell me those recent renders were just for fun.
First we have to get through the Measure R projects (Purple Line to Westwood, Crenshaw Line, Eastside Extension of Gold Line, SFV Corridor, etc...). AFTER all those are done, then we go to next round of projects. Top priority would be the Purple Line to Santa Monica, northern extension of Crenshaw Line to Hollywood/Highland/Hollywood Bowl, Green Line to Norwalk, Vermont Corridor rail, etc...

If we have more political will, we can expedite projects faster. Before Antonio Villairaigosa in 2005, we had only $4 billion projected over 30 years for Expo Line and Crenshaw Line only (Prop A and C returns). Now, we have 10 transit projects that WILL be completed in 30 years (even if 30/10 doesn't pan out) thanks to Antonio and his push of Measure R. (oh and his overturning of the federal subway drilling ban, but people forget that).

If Measure R+ passes, I'm sure we'll be hearing more about Gold Line to Montclair, Crenshaw North extension, Green line to LAX, etc... b/c then we have guaranteed future revenues. Right now, the 30 year sunset provision of Measure R maxes out what we can earn.

If you get the right political presence, things can move faster. I tell you, when Antonio leaves office..........people will then understand how lucky we had a transit mayor in Antonio. It all takes political will...and Antonio did a great job with transit in LA (remember, he commissioned the study to overturn the federal subway drilling ban; an issue untouched by previous mayor). If little political presence, then its up to grassroots movements, which take slower for things to happen.