View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:03 AM
Meh

The type of development I would expect there would be something that would benefit the whole community, maybe an aquarium as the article suggests. That would be an interesting and compatible use for the site, and it should interact with the bat viewing area near the bridge and have some connection to the hike & bike trail. They're even saying it'll connect some how to the future nearby urban rail stop at Riverside. Remember there's a plan to build a rail bridge across the river from either Brazos or San Jacinto Street to near the American-Statesman property. There could be the possibility of having a pedestrian walkway included with that bridge.

I would tend to be against much vertical development there. The property feels like something that should be used as a community type project. I do remember 427MM from the forum telling me once that the American-Statesman had air rights to build to 110 feet on their property.

Whatever happens, this is the east side of downtown's chance to get a shot in the arm for growth that most of the west side has already seen. It could also help to redevelop the rest of the empty lots south of the river. I remember someone posted recently that there's a planned 353,000 square foot project of some sort planned for the Runtex site at Riverside & South First.