View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 6:44 PM

I would agree that SaskTel is the reason why we have lower phone and data rates in Saskatchewan than just about anywhere else in Canada. That competition factor simply can't be underestimated.

I think what irks me the most about this is Premier Wall's implication that he would use a potential sale of SaskTel as a quick fix for the government's operating deficit. No, Mr. Wall, your government got into this mess by itself. When times were good, the Saskatchewan Party could have chosen to cap general spending by the rate of inflation, and treat extra resource revenues as a one-time thing, spending it on similar one-time infrastructure investments. But instead, spending as a whole ballooned, and to make things worse, the government is now borrowing money it doesn't have in order to fund further infrastructure improvements. Sorry, Mr. Premier, the choices of you and your party got us into this deficit situation. Please don't insult the residents of Saskatchewan by suggesting the possible sale of a Crown corporation to "eliminate our operating debt". How about you just get out of this the old-fashioned way: by reducing spending and/or raising revenue, and by not borrowing more money than you need to?