View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post

I don't think Leap is going to destroy the NDP. They might lose some support in blue collar areas in the short term, but I think the important thing here is that they are on the right side of history. Most people know that we need to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. When do they think we should do that? I know for some the answer will always be "later," but environmental issues are going to be a growth opportunity. Additionally, these are issues that neither the Conservatives nor the Liberals can credibly campaign on- both are beholden to business in ways that preclude anything more than lip service.
It wont destroy the party, but reality is in most of the country they would have no chance of getting anyone elected. If right of the bat you have no chance in most of BC (maybe a couple Vancouver ridings which may go to the Greens) no seats in AB, SK and MB. Ontario outside of a couple seats in urban Toronto is a write off and for Quebec except for a couple seats in Urban Montreal and pretty much the same for Atlantic Canada. What will you do then? Basically get written off in all but 15 seats for a generation?

Think of how Ontario feels about the Provincial NDP and they have been out of power since 1995. That's over 20 years and they still have not gotten rid of the stigma.

BC outside of the lower mainland and the views of the NDP which has not been in power since 2001.

AB and the Liberals went from Trudeau to Trudeau without electing someone outside of Edmonton.

Something like this if passed will kill them for over a generation for most Canadians. People have long memories and something like this will doom them in most of Canada for a long time. While it may be forward thinking it will doom them in the present and maybe the future as well since someone else will implement what is actually doable and get credit.