View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 11:22 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'll definitely be picking this one up. It's as mandatory for soulful takes on our folk songs as Joan Morrissey is for comedic, charismatic ones.

Quote:
“Of all the singers you’d hear, she had an element of what I’d call a kind of perfection about her. Absolutely flawless, you know? And it stood out. I’ve never heard of anyone sing like that, so precise. Charisma, she exuded it. And she was dramatic. Haunting, there’s an element of that there,” Brace said.

“It’s mind-blowing how good she was. I’m still really impressed by the talent and her voice is just so unique and powerful and special. To me, it was like you were playing with a goddess. You were on another plane.”

The CD of songs recorded in that music room in 1969, simply titled “Laverne Squires” and featuring a stunning black and white photo of Squires on the front, will be released Sunday evening between 7-9 at The Ship in St. John’s. All three of Squires’ daughters will take part; Selina and Dale singing, and Corina hosting the event. There’s no admission cost.

The CD will be available after that at Fred’s Records and O’Brien’s music store.
http://www.thetelegram.com/living/en...verne-squ.html